Tuesday 24 August 2010

LinkedIn

LinkedIn sounds like an interesting idea - professional social networking is surely something to be explored when personal social networking like Facebook is so popular. It was all fairly easy to set up although it seems quite difficult to initially start networking as it covers all industries. The people LinkedIn suggested I should link to weren't that relevant either, as they were people I know personally, and their industries range from health care to volunteering management - so not hugely library related! This might be because I've only recently started working in the profession so don't have a large contact base to start from.

I've recently joined the newly launched LIS New Professionals Network, which is also designed for professional networking - but is focused entirely on new professionals within the information and library field in the UK. It shares many similar features with LinkedIn - discussion groups and networking for example, although it has less emphasis on the CV/profile element. I think for me at the moment LISNPN is more helpful because it is more specific and relevant, although I will probably try and keep my LinkedIn profile up-to-date and explore it more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment